Elizabeth Morse Genius Charitable Trust is a private foundation practicing values-based grantmaking.1
Elizabeth Morse Genius Charitable Trust awards grants to qualifying 501(c)(3) public charities 2 that persuasively demonstrate a strong connection between their missions, programs, and/or projects and one or more of the following values:
The Trust's Values Statement:
- Tenet 1—Promoting “THISS:” promoting, instilling, and/or reflecting the values of individual and/or organizational thrift, humility, industry, self-sacrifice, and/or self-sufficiency;
- Tenet 2—Relieving Human Suffering: relieving human suffering by: (1) performing research and/or promoting education regarding the treatment of disease; (2) assisting youth who are from disadvantaged backgrounds, have troubled childhoods, have physical or mental disabilities, or experience emotional disorders; (3) addressing the concerns of the elderly; and/or (4) providing succor to human kind during time of natural or human-made disasters;
- Tenet 3—Developing Individual Self-Esteem and Dignity: developing within individuals, especially youth from underserved and/or under-resourced communities, a sense of self-esteem and dignity;
- Tenet 4—Encouraging Vigorous Athletic Activity: encouraging vigorous athletic activity, leading to physical health and/or spiritual well-being;
- Tenet 5—Developing Regional Solutions to Chicago’s Regional Challenges: developing regional solutions to Chicago’s regional challenges, thereby protecting and/or improving the quality of life for all its citizens.
Elizabeth Morse Genius Charitable Trust welcomes Letters of Inquiry, which is the beginning of the Trust’s application process. Elizabeth Morse Genius Charitable Trust will accept proposals, however, only after issuing a Request for Proposal. For more information, please see Application Procedures.
The application process at the Elizabeth Morse Genius Charitable Trust is rigorous, robust, and comprehensive and can last anywhere from six months to a year or more. Regardless of grant size, it may be necessary, upon request by the Trust, to submit revised application materials.
For more information, please see FAQ's or Contact Us.
hb04609q – By permission of the Chicago History Museum, all rights reserved.
1. For a more complete statement regarding the background of the Elizabeth Morse Genius Charitable Trust, please see Trust History.
2. To determine if yours is a qualifying 501(c)(3) public charity, please see Funding Parameters.